The Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce is pleased to announce that repairs to the Little Church are now complete, and it was transported back to its original location on North Dinosaur Trail on Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015.
The Little Church was discovered to have been vandalised on October 30, 2014. A fire that had been started inside the Little Church had burned a hole through the floor, and some smoke damage was present. After closer inspection, extensive repairs were deemed necessary to ensure the longevity of the popular attraction. Through a partnership between the Chamber of Commerce and the Drumheller Institution, the Little Church was removed from its site by the Town of Drumheller’s Public Works department and moved to the carpentry shop at the Institution in February 2015. Materials were provided by the Chamber of Commerce with DeMott Floors Ltd. donating new flooring. Inmates enrolled in the pre-Carpentry program were tasked with refurbishing the Little Church.
A long-standing landmark in the Drumheller Valley, the Little Church originally opened on July 9, 1958, and was rebuilt by the Drumheller Institution in the early 1990s. The concept for the Little Church came from Reverend E.C. O’Brien of the Pentecostal Church. It was designed by Robert “Bob” Gibson and constructed by Trygve “Tig” Seland, who is also credited with building the numerous dinosaur statues around town.
“The Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce is appreciative of the outstanding work done by the staff and inmates of the Pre-Carpentry Program at the Drumheller Institution. We are pleased to have the Little Church back in place, so that it can once again be enjoyed by locals and visitors alike,” stated Heather Bitz, Executive Director of the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce.